Summer Reading Challenge
The Summer Reading Challenge:
- The Challenge is 4 weeks long, the week of June 6th and ending the week of July 4th.
- Read with your children or have them read for at least 20 minutes a day.
- Each week has a theme, such as Reading with Friends or Reading Before Bed.
- After reading the book(s) of their choice, children do a suggested activity based on the weekly theme. They can choose to do one or more of the activities from the list provided each week. Click here to download.
- For those who complete the Challenge, a winner will be drawn at random for a prize!
How do I participate?
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide us with the following information:
- First and last name
- Postal Code
- Phone Number
You will receive a reading log to track your child’s progress (number of pages and minutes read). We will use your email address and phone number to send weekly reminders about that week’s theme and activities.
You will also receive a list of the weekly activities. At the end of the 5 weeks, send us back the reading log so we can add up the total reading accomplished and draw a randomly-selected winner for the prize. Reading logs can be submitted to email@example.com.
We will also have reading events for you to come out and join us throughout the summer. We will keep you updated via email or text.
What materials do I need?
- Reading log. Click here to download your copy.
- Library card so your child can pick out books
- (optional) Digital camera or phone to take and submit photos of your child’s selfies or photos and/or upload to Facebook or Twitter. Don't forget to use the hashtag #StandSummerReadingChallenge!
Why are we running a summer reading campaign?
Many children lose as much as 2 – 3 months of reading and spelling skills over the summer while they are not in school. Over the course of elementary school, this can put them the equivalent of nearly 3 grade levels behind their peers. Read more statistics on the effects of summer learning loss and why it's important that we fight it.
What can I do?
Participate in the Stand Summer Reading Challenge! Download the Summer Reading Challenge list of weekly activities and get started today!
Questions, updates, and photo submissions should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also call us at (901) 522-5022. Happy reading!