Elections play a key role in determining funding and policy decisions affecting every child in the state. We work to elect leaders and pass measures that put students at the forefront of education policies.
Our endorsement process
There are two major ways that a candidate may receive an endorsement. In communities where we have an active chapter, local members may choose to run an endorsement process. In other races throughout the state, our State Strategy Team – consisting of volunteers from each local chapter – makes the final endorsement decision.
We endorse in districts where we have a significant membership presence, where the incumbent held a leadership position, or where the incumbent was on a relevant committee (e.g. House Education). Once those races are identified, we go through the following steps:
- Email a written questionnaire to candidates (or in the case of ballot measures, the campaign manager).
- Invite candidates to in-person interviews with staff, local chapter leaders and/or State Strategy Team members.
- Candidates are evaluated based on their responses to the written questionnaire, the in-person interview, and their alignment with our priorities.
- After considering all relevant information, local chapters or State Strategy Team make an endorsement decision.
Candidate endorsement criteria
- Issue Alignment: They show a commitment to raising achievement for all students, increasing family and community involvement, improving school funding, and ensuring our schools have effective principals and teachers. If an incumbent, they have a strong track record on behalf of our issues and bills.
- Strong Personal Character: They're bold on reform, have a vision and make clear commitments. Candidates value citizen engagement and welcome community participation in the policy-making process. They show leadership, strive for consensus but support potentially unpopular policy changes if necessary to get results for children.
- Visibility: They have a clear and viable strategy for winning their race.
Once we endorse a candidate, we help them win by engaging our members in some of the following ways:
- door knocking
- phone banking
- direct mail
- radio ads
- and other tactics