Our friends and colleagues across the nation are celebrating 20 years of #StandingStrong, making a positive impact for students across the country. Stand for Children Louisiana is proud to be a part of that legacy for the past 4 ½ years, and in January we will celebrate 5 years of Standing Strong for the students of Louisiana.
In the years since Stand Louisiana was founded, we’ve had the opportunity to fight hard for students, teachers and parents to ensure that the educational system serves students first, and prepares them for college, career and beyond.
On the eve of our 5th year of impact – we’d like to take a look back at a small sampling of the large body of work that Stand Louisiana has undertaken since 2012 to ensure that all students graduate prepared for college or a high skilled career:
- 2012 – A Quality Teacher in Every Classroom – This is the year that Stand for Children helped champion policies that created an accountability system that rewards educators who are meeting the needs of our students, so that one day every child will have an effective teacher in the classroom.
- 2013 – High Standards and expectations – In 2013 Stand for Children parents and educators began work on protecting and continuing to implement high expectations and standards for our students, in order to ensure that all students graduate on time and prepared for college.
- 2014 – Responsibility for Student Success – Work around high quality expectations and meaningful assessments continued with parents and educators weighing in on, and helping to develop, the new Louisiana Student Standards. By ensuring that expectations for students are set high, we can be sure that students are leaving their high schools prepared for college.
- 2015 – Electing Education Champions – During the Fall elections parent and educator members worked tirelessly to support candidates for the Board of Elementary and Secondary Education who they believe will take bold stances for students and champion what is best for our children.
- 2016 – Smart Start, Strong Finish – Parents, members and educators are currently working to ensure that all students have access to high quality early education programs so that they can enter kindergarten prepared and we continue to work with high schools in the area to ensure that students have the opportunity to attend a high quality high school that provides them with the support they need to guide them to a strong finish on graduation day.
We look forward to celebrating many more milestones and wins for the students of Louisiana in the years to come and we hope you will join us to celebrate Stand’s five year anniversary in January 2017!